More on Hepatitis C
KEI Documents and commentary regarding Hepatitis C Virus (HCV) related issues
- July 18, 2014. "Non-voluntary use of patents for drugs to treat the Hepatitis C Virus in the United States: Mechanisms available to the Federal Government, State Governments and Private Actors."
- July 8, 2014. "Request to Gilead for license to Sofosbuvir, for territory of Romania.".
A policy brief examining possible mechanisms to overcome the exclusive rights of patents for drugs to treat the Hepatitis C Virus in the United States.
This is a letter from KEI Europe to Gilead Sciences requesting a license to sofosbuvir patents for the territory of Romania. Romania has one of the highest rates of HCV infection in Europe and one of the lowest abilities to pay for the drug.
FT page on combating HCV
Other Commentary and Research
- Letter from Sen. Ron Wyden and Sen. Charles Grassley to Gilead asking for pricing information on Sovaldi. July 11, 2014.
- Open Society Foundation. "Hepatitis C Treatment: Price, Profits, and Barriers to Access." Webpage and Publication. July 2013.
Selected news stories and blogs
- July 16, 2014. Editorial Board. "Why $1,000 a pill? Our view." USAToday.
- July 11, 2014. Loftus, Peter. "Senate Committee is Investigating Price of Hepatitis C Drug." Wall Street Journal.
- July 11, 2014. Silverman, Ed. "Gilead Faces New Pressure From US Senators and Europe Over Hep C Pricing." Wall Street Journal.
- July 23, 2014. Rockoff, Jonathan. "Hepatitis C Pill Rockets Gilead Into Big Leagues." Wall Street Journal.
- July 23, 2014. Bennet, Simeon and Robert Langreth. "Who Gets Saved? Hepatitis Cure at $84,000 Makes Doctors Choose." Bloomberg.