- July 7, 2008, The Patent Research Exception: An Informal Consultation, UK Intellectual Property Office.
- Geertrui Van Overwalle & Esther van Zimmeren (Centre for Intellectual Property Rights, University of Leuven, Belgium),"Reshaping Belgian Patent Law: The Revision of the Research Exemption and the Introduction of a Compulsory License for Public Health", Chizaiken Forum vol.64, Winter 2006, pp.42-49
- Hon Judith Tizard, Associate Minister of Commerce, New Zealand, Cabinet Paper: A Research Exemption for the Patents Act: [Further] Progress Report on Policy Work, 9 February 2006.
- John P. Walsh, University of Illinois at Chicago and Tokyo University, Ashish Arora, Carnegie Mellon University, Wesley M. Cohen, Duke University, Effects of Research Tool Patents and Licensing on Biomedical Innovation, Patents in the Knowledge-Based Economy (2003).
- Chris Dent, Paul Jensen, Sophie Waller and Beth Webste, Research Use of Patented Knowledge: A Review, OECD STI Working Paper, 2006/2