Video Interviews and Press Coverage from SCCR 24
The following interviews were recorded during the 24th meeting of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) Standing Committee on Copyright and Related Rights (SCCR). Most of the interviews are focused on the negotiations on a new WIPO treaty for persons who are blind or have other disabilities. The time of the videos varies from 16 seconds to more than 18 minutes. They are organized by the type of stakeholder, and the date of the interviews. This page will be updated during the meeting as I add more videos. Any of the videos can be used under any creative commons license, with appropriate attribution of the source.
Without going deeply into the substance of the interviews, which are informative and speak for themselves, you can learn a lot about the US position in the negotiations by listening to Alan Adler of the AAP, and about the European Commission position by listening to Jens Bammel of the IPA.
NGOs representing publishers and other right holders
- July 18, 2012. Alan Adler on WIPO negotiations on copyright exceptions
- July 20, 2012. Mihály Ficsor talks about 1982 UNESCO/WIPO work on copyright exceptions for disabilities
- July 21, 2012, Jens Bammel of IPA at SCCR 24, Part 1
- July 25, 2012. Carlo Scollo Lavizzari, representing STM at SCCR 24, July 25, 2012
Libraries and archives
- July 19, 2012. Canadian librarian Paul Whitney talks about copyright exceptions for blind persons
- July 20, 2012. Winston Tabb, member of the IFLA delegation at WIPO SCCR 24
- July 23, 2012. Tim Padfield of Counseil International des archives (CIA), talks about WIPO negotiations on copyright exceptions for archives.
- July 23, 2012. Teresa Hackett of eIFL on the WIPO negotiations on copyright exceptions.
- July 24, 2012. Victoria Owen on the WIPO SCCR 24 negotiations on copyright exceptions.
- July 25, 2012. Ellen Broad on last day of SCCR 24 negotiations on copyright exceptions
- July 18, 2012. Maryanne Diamond, President of World Blind Union, on WIPO treaty for blind negotiations
- July 18, 2012. Dan Pescod of the World Blind Union, at the WIPO negotiations on a treaty for the blind
- July 19, 2012. Melanie Brunson of ACB on WIPO negotiations on a treaty for blind persons
- July 19, 2012. Rahul Cherian of Inclusive Planet at WIPO SCCR 24
- July 19, 2012. Thomas Ongolo of Africa Decade discusses negotiations on WIPO Treaty for Blind
- July 19, 2012. Barbara Martin Muñoz of Organización Nacional de Ciegos Españoles (ONCE), on WIPO negotiations at SCCR 24
- July 20, 2012. Francisco Javier Martínez and Calvo Bárbara Martín Muñoz of Organización Nacional de Ciegos Españoles (ONCE) comment on the negotiations at the WIPO Standing Committee on Copyright for a treaty on copyright exceptions for persons with disabilities.
- July 20, 2012. Pablo Lecuona of ULAC & Tiflolibros talks about WIPO treaty for the blind negotiations
- July 21, 2012. Chris Friend of World Blind Union asks Obama to support WIPO treaty for disabilities
- July 24, 2012. Rahul Cherian of Inclusive Planet reacts to reports from Monday informal negotations at WIPO SCCR 24
- July 25, 2012. Maryanne Diamond, President of World Blind Union, waiting on last day of WIPO SCCR 24
- July 26, 2012. Chris Friend, around 2am after the meeting concluded.
- July 18, 2012. David Hammerstein of TACD at the WIPO negotiations on the treaty for the blind
- July 20, 2012. Ahmed Abdel Latif of ICTSD on the WIPO negotiations on copyright exceptions for blind
- July 20, 2012. David Hammerstein of TACD, expressing concerns about the lack of time to complete negotiations on a treaty for the blind.
- July 24, 2012. Susan Isiko Štrba of IQSensato at WIPO SCCR 24 negotiations on copyright exceptions.
- July 25, 2012.David Hammerstein of TACD at Press Conference about WIPO SCCR negotiatons
- July 19, 2012. Emanuel Meyer: Switzerland supports a WIPO treaty for blind persons
- July 20, 2012. Cyprus, on the nature of the instrument for disabilities.
- July 20, 2012. Austria, on the nature of the instrument.
- July 23, 2012. Jukka Liedes at WIPO SCCR 24
- Latin America
- July 19, 2012. José Ramón LÓPEZ DE LEÓN of Mexico delegation on WIPO negotiations for a treaty for the blind
- July 20, 2012. Edgar Martin Moscoso Villacorta of Peru, on WIPO negotiations on blind treaty (English, Spanish)
- July 20, 2012. Cliffor Guimarães is Policy Advisor at the Copyright Office in the Brazil Minister of Culture. The answer is in Portuguese.
- July 24, 2012. Alfredo Scafati of Uruguay: Make it clear who supports the WIPO treaty for blind.
- July 20, 2012. Ambassador Trevor Clark, the Assistant Director General at WIPO with responsibility for the Culture and Creative Industries Sector, and the focal point at WIPO on issues concerning disabilities.
Academics not on a delegation
- July 23, 2012. Raquel Xalabarder, speaking after SCCR 24 side event on education
Media coverage (blogs and newspapers)
- July 21, 2012. Disability News, Should Access to the Blind Be Made Through a Treaty?
- July 23, 2012. Zach Carter in the Huffington Post, Obama Administration Blocks International Treaty To Benefit The Blind
- July 23, 2012. Cory Doctorow in Boing Boing, US stonewalling treaty that would help disabled people access copyrighted works
- July 23, 2012. Rama Lakshmi in the Washington Post, U.S. support sought for treaty to allow blind people access to copyrighted works
- July 23, 2012. Mike Masnick, We Should Stop Calling Fair Use A 'Limitation & Exception' To Copyright; It's A Right Of The Public from the that's-important dept, Tech Dirt.
- July 24, 2012. Zach Carter in the Huffington Post, Obama Administration Wants Treaty For The Blind Delayed, Sources Say
- July 24, 2012. Priscilla Jebaraj in the Hindu, EU stalls treaty talks to allow copyright waiver for print disabilities
- July 24, 2012. William New in IP-Watch, Down To The Wire, WIPO Copyright Committee Seeks Compromises
- July 24, 2012. Olga Khazan in the Washington Post, Why are there so many blind Indians?
- July 25, 2012. Ariel Bogle in Melville House Books, Government won’t support international copyright treaty to benefit the blind.
- July 25, 2012. Bridges Weekly, Visually Impaired Instrument Sees Progress at WIPO Copyright Committee
- July 25, 2012. Daily News & Analysis (DNA), EU members oppose treaty on visually challenged
- July 25, 2012. Cory Doctorow in BoingBoing, Obama administration plays politics with treaty on copyright exceptions for disabled people
- July 25, 2012. Mike Masnick in Tech Dirt, Obama Administration Stalls Treaty To Help The Blind In An Effort To Appease Big Publishers (AKA Campaign Donors) from the money-first-politics dept
- July 26, 2012. KEI comment on SCCR 24
- July 26, 2012. William New in IP-Watch, WIPO Still On Course For Instruments On Copyright Exceptions, Broadcasting
- July 26, 2012. Zach Carter in the Huffington Post, Obama Administration Stalls Blind Rights Treaty For Another Year
- July 26, 2012. MEMO, Intellectual Property: Commissioner Michel Barnier determined to ensure equal access to books for visually impaired persons, Press Release from the European Commission.
- July 26, 2012. The European Commission press release was also a story in The Information Daily: formerly eGovmonitor
- July 26, 2012. Nathalie Vandystadt in Europolitics.Info, Copywrght. Barnier wants to improve access to books for the visually impaired
- July 28, 2012. Blind to reason. Editorial in the Hindu
- July 30, 2012. Paige McClanahan in the Guardian, US and EU blocking treaty to give blind people access to books - Copyright fears stall talks on books being translated into braille for blind and visually impaired people in the global south
- July 30, 2012. Monika Bruss (Goethe University Frankfurt), Ben Challis (Music Law Updates; Glastonbury Festival), John Enser (Olswang LLP), Iona Harding (Baker & McKenzie), Jeremy Phillips, Eleonora Rosati (European University Institute) and Asim Singh (Cabinet Singh, Paris) in The 1709 Blog, WIPO's proposed exception for the blind and visually impaired stalls again
- July 30, 2012. able, US and EU blocking treaty to give blind people access to books
- July 31, 2012. Ville Oksanen in Tietokone, Kesäuutisia – tätä otsikkoa et ole nähnyt (WIPO SCCR ja VIP-sopimus)
- August 2, 2012. Sai Vinod in Spicy IP, Stalemate over WIPO Treaty on Copyright Exceptions for Persons with Print Disabilities
- August 2, 2012. Carolina Rossini, International Failure: Are we going to let countries disenfranchise the visually impaired?
- August 7, 2012. A Treaty To Make Books More Accessible, the Kojo Nnambi show. Guests: James Love, Director, Knowledge Ecology International, Allan Adler, Vice President, Legal and Government Affairs, Association of American Publishers, Kim Charlson, First Vice President, American Council of the Blind; Supervisor, Perkins Braille and Talking Book Library