The 2016-2017 Army Sanofi license on patents for a Zika vaccine
New, by Senator Bernie Sanders in the New York Times: Trump Should Avoid a Bad Zika Deal. March 10, 2017.
KEI 2016-2017 comments on Army license to Sanofi for Zika vaccine patents
- 10 March 2017. KEI filed comments with regards to practical application, reasonable terms, and reasonable price in the context of exclusive licensing obligations in the Bayh-Dole Act.
- 16 February 2017. Note by Diane Singhroy, PhD., on Zika vaccine manufacturing.
- 12 January 2017. Comments filed by KEI, American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME), People of Faith for Access to Medicines (PFAM), Public Citizen, Social Security Works, Universities Allied for Essential Medicines (UAEM), and Dean Baker of the Center for Economic and Policy Research. "An exclusive license to patents on a new Zika vaccine to Sanofi is contrary to the provisions of 35 U.S.C. 209(a)(1)." Submitted in response to a Federal Register notice (81 Fed. Reg. 89087) posted 9 December 2016, titled "Intent to Grant an Exclusive License of U.S. Government-Owned Patents."
- 21 December 2016. KEI Initial Comments regarding Department of the Army Intent to Grant an Exclusive License of US Governement-Owned Patents for patents on Zika Virus Vaccine and Methods of Production to Sanofi Pasteur, Inc.
- 9 December 2016. KEI request for information submitted to Barry Datloff, Office of Research & Technology Assessment, Department of the Army.
Other NGO comments on the Zika vaccine license
- 23 January 2017. MSF filed comments with the US Army in opposition to the grant of an exclusive license to patents on a new vaccine for the Zika Virus.
Members of Congress comments on Army/Sanofi license
- 24 February 2017. [Eleven] House Democrats demand affordable prices for taxpayer-funded Zika vaccine. Copy of letter to Army here.
- 10 March 2017. Senator Bernie Sanders in the New York Times: Trump Should Avoid a Bad Zika Deal. Copy of letter to Army here.
Federal Register Notices
- 27 January 2017. Intent To Grant an Exclusive License of U.S. Government-Owned Patents. Department of the Army. 82 Fed. Reg. 8611.
- 11 January 2017. Comment Period Extension: Intent to Grant an Exclusive License of U.S. Government-owned Patents. 82 Fed. Reg. 3295.
- 9 December 2016. Intent to Grant an Exclusive License of U.S. Government-Owned Patents. Department of the Army. 81 Fed. Reg. 89087.
News stories, press releases, and blogs
- 26 September 2016. Sanofi Pasteur Press Release. BARDA Grants $43.2 Million USD To Sanofi Pasteur For Zika: Funds will be used for phase II development and manufacturing.
- 2 August 2016. Col. Nelson L. Michael and Col. Stephen J. Thomas. Army researchers developing Zika vaccine. Walter Reed Army Institute of Research.
- 9 November 2016. Cheryl Pellerin. Human trials begin for Army-developed Zika vaccine. DoD News, Defense Media Activity.
- 22 December 2016. Ed Silverman. US Army license being awarded to Sanofi for a Zika vaccine raises questions. Pharmalot, Stat News.
- 28 December 2016. Patrick Adams And Cameron Nutt. A Zika Vaccine, but for Whom? New York Times.
- 10 January 2017. Eric Sagonowsky. U.S. Army's planned Zika vaccine license to Sanofi raises nonprofit's ire. Fierce Pharma.
- 19 January 2017. Kim Treanor. Groups Seek Assurance Of Affordable Zika Vaccine From US Army Exclusive Licence. IP-Watch.
- 24 January 2017. Zachary Brennan. Doctors Without Borders Objects to Sanofi Receiving an Exclusive License for a Zika Vaccine. RAPS.
- 27 January 2017. Sophie Edwards. Zika vaccine could be delayed, unaffordable after US Army grants exclusive rights to pharma company. Devex.
- 22 February 2017. Ed Silverman. Lawmakers urge US Army not to issue exclusive license to Sanofi for a Zika vaccine. Pharmalot, Stat News.
- 23 February 2017. Eric Sagonowksy. Lawmakers decry Army’s planned Zika vaccine license to Sanofi. FiercePharma.
- 10 March 2017. Senator Bernie Sanders. Trump Should Avoid a Bad Zika Deal. New York Times.
- 10 March 2017. KEI 10 March 2017 Comments on Army Exclusive License on Zika Virus Vaccine Patents to Sanofi.
- 12 January 2017. "Groups Object to Army Proposal to Give Sanofi a Monopoly on Patents for Taxpayer-Funded Zika Vaccine." James Love.
- 21 December 2016. "KEI initial opposition to U.S. Army grant of exclusive license to Sanofi on patents for Zika virus vaccine." KEI Staff.
- 2 March 2016. "DHHS declared public health emergency for Zika virus." James Love.